Why only Lego>?

Code of Conduct, Privacy Policy, Announcements. Got a suggestion to our site? Let us hear it!
Post Reply
lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:30 am
Location: oregon

Why only Lego>?

Post by lego the hutt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:45 am

I agree that Lego is great but I find it kind of strange that this forum is called Toys and Bricks but every single area is Lego specific.

There are no other toys and no other bricks on this forum except Lego :think:

Have there ever been ideas about maybe making a forum for other brick toys?

I just posted about the Kreo enterprise that was at the NY toy fair and it seems strange that it is regulated to the off topic category. I know I have seen other posts about "Lego compatible" toys that end up getting moved to the off topic forum when they are posted anywhere else. I'm actually a bit reluctant to post about other "Lego compatible" type toys here. Recently I saw some Beatles based toys...even a yellow submarine set that I thought was neat, and some Doctor Who based "Lego compatible" toys, but I didn't post about them here because there isn't really a place for them.

Maybe one forum area to cover "other" brick toys would be nice? Kreo, Megabloks, Knex, Oyo Sports, Character Building etc? It probably wouldn't be a super busy area of the forum but it would be nice to give a bit of love to some other companies...even if you just lump them all together in one small area...that isn't simply called off topic.

I dunno, I usually only care about Lego anyway but every now and then there are sets put out by other companies that catch my eye. Maybe others would be interested in those too?

User avatar
The-Daryl
Knight
Knight
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:01 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Why only Lego>?

Post by The-Daryl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:09 am

Seems like a reasonable idea, to me, to have a "Other" brick subforum

Personally, I don't like most of what I see of those "other" blocks but I think it was on this forum that I read about Scooby Doo characters that were actually kind of neat (not so neat that I am going to collect them, but still). It wouldn't be horrible to have some general idea in case something did come along that I was interested in.

Different things interest different people :)

User avatar
Brickbuilder0937
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator
Posts: 1187
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: Why only Lego>?

Post by Brickbuilder0937 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 am

The LEGO group frowns upon sites not affiliated with them using "LEGO" in the title.
As for why we only cover LEGO? The vast majority of the AFOL community only buys LEGO and some fan made pieces like Brickarms, brickforge etc. Other brands are not nearly as sought after, and we wouldn't want to offend the LEGO purists by making this an all-clone-building-brands-included site. ;-)

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:30 am
Location: oregon

Re: Why only Lego>?

Post by lego the hutt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks for the new area of the forum for "Lego clone" toys. That was quick. Thank you for listening to, and considering the idea :clap:

Maybe this thread about Oyo sports figs that is in the off topic subforum could be moved to the new forum too?

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=7398

legogod
Knight
Knight
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:49 am
Location: Eastern Connecticut

Re: Why only Lego>?

Post by legogod » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:54 pm

I know the forum has been created and there's a place to post sales/findings for the clone brands but I thought of one thing...

Mega Blok, Tyco, Best Lock, and others have one thing going for them already-their price. Usually the price per piece ratio is well below 10 cents a brick some strive for. (Comparable sets with similar piece counts can already be 1/2 off to the general public). Because clones are competing with TLG their major draw is "more bang for your buck" which makes a separate deal forum an odd thing.

Following the MSRP of Mega Blok sets with a Lego mentality might lead to some-"Hey. I found this gem for this much!" which would be quietly misleading.

Now this is just my thought (after the fact) and the forum is for everything clone related, not just sales. It would help those who look specifically for those brands.

Jared

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests