[REVIEW]: 79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Post Reply

How would you rate this set?

Excellent
2
14%
Average
9
64%
Poor
3
21%
 
Total votes: 14

User avatar
hatcher
Count
Count
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

[REVIEW]: 79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike

Post by hatcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:23 pm

Set Name:Shredder's Dragon Bike
Set Number: 79101
Theme: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Year: 2012
Pieces: 198
Minifigures: 3
MSRP: $29.99 (CDN) $24.99 (USD)

Description from Shop@Home:
Chase after Shredder and get the map back!

Kick up the turtle-powered action to take on Shredder! When Shredder speeds by on his Dragon Bike with dual flame exhausts and real rubber tires, Donatello spots a map to the Turtles' lair in his claws! Crank up Donatello's motorized skateboard to stop him before he finds the secret lair. Battle the Foot Soldier with Donatello's bo staff and chase the metal-faced menace through the city streets to get that map back!

• Includes 3 minifigures: Shredder, Donatello and a Foot Soldier
• Features dual flame exhaust, rubber-treaded tires and a sewer map
• Vehicles include Donatello's motorized skateboard
• Includes 4 weapons: bo staff, sword and dual flick missiles
• Chase after Shredder on Donatello's motorized skateboard!
• Take the sewer map from Shredder before he finds the Turtles' lair!
• Measures over 5" (12cm) high, 7" (18cm) wide and 3" (8cm) long
• Skateboard measures over 1" (3cm) high, 3" (7cm) long and 1" (4cm) wide

link: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Shredder-s-Dragon-Bike-79101

I remember first hearing about the Ninja Turtles comic book as a question on a tv gameshow and thought it was a joke. But a joke it was not, and after seeing the original late 80's early 90's tv show, I kind of developed a soft spot for the "Heroes in a halfshell". So, when I heard that LEGO was coming out with sets based on the show, I was happy. When I heard it was based on the new 2012 version of the tv show, I was less happy. After seeing the pictures of the sets, I was on the fence about whether or not to get them. However, my local Toys R Us had a couple copies of this set on the damaged table the other day for $10, so I grabbed them. How do the Turtles do in LEGO form?

First up, the front of the box. Mine was covered with a giant red "final sale" ticket, so here's a picture of the box from Brickset. You can see that in this set, Shredder is driving one big stinking motorcycle and Donatello is chasing him on a motorized skateboard. Why is he chasing Shredder? The map that leads to the Turtles lair of course. Also included is a foot soldier.

http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/Addi ... 1_alt1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The back of the box (sorry about the flash) shows some of the play features and a cartoon of the set at the bottom
IMG_0049.JPG
Inside the box, we have 3 unnumbered bags, a HUGE tire, a sticker sheet, and the instruction manual.
IMG_0050.JPG
The stickers. They are for the flags on Shredder's bike. I will not be applying them in this review. (I mostly don't put stickers on during builds.)
IMG_0051.JPG
The cover of the instruction book (pretty much the same as the box)
IMG_0052.JPG
A random page from the instructions. I personally prefer it when LEGO puts the parts needed at the top of the page, as it prevents me from missing things as I build. I'm sure it also helps younger builders.
IMG_0053.JPG
The parts. I didn't motice any parts that I hadn't seen before, and there is a lot of techniq pieces.
IMG_0054.JPG
The mini figures. The real reason for getting this set honestly. You get Shredder (the only set he comes in), a foot soldier and Donatello. (I was glad to get Don, he and I share a name after all.) Shredder looks pretty much how I remembered him, complete with the same claw gizmos that we first saw in the Prince of Persia sets, and on everyone's favourite Canadian superhero, Wolverine. His torso design is great, as are the shoudler pads. The foot soldier comes in pretty much every set, but he has nice torso design and head. Donatello has a bit of an annoyed look on his face in this set, but he looks awesome. Exactly the way I hoped a TMNT would look in LEGO form, and he comes with his staff. Great looking figures.
IMG_0055.JPG
And from the back.
IMG_0057.JPG
Here is Shredder wihout helmet. Looks kind of deformed. He has no printing on the back of his torso. And Don without his shell (point of fact, turtles can not take off their shells) to show you his back printing. The figures are totally awesome.
IMG_0058.JPG
On to the build. First up we have Donatello's skateboard I haven't seen this version of the show, but I guess that in this version, the turtles build a lot of their contraptions, vehicles etc from spare parts. From this side, you can see the one headlight, and the steering mechanism.
IMG_0059.JPG
And from this angle, you can see where Don can attach his weapon while driving. A nice little build, pretty straightforward. My son put this entire set together for me (he's just under 5) and he had no trouble with this part of the build.
IMG_0060.JPG
Shredder's bike. This thing is big and ugly, and I really don't know what to think about it. Having not seen the show, I don't know how accurate it is, but from a LEGO stand point, it is a very interesting build. Here is the body of the bike early in construction.
IMG_0061.JPG
The bike is over half finished at this point, the wheels are on. One thing to watch out for is pushing the connections for the wheels too tight, if you do, the wheels won't turn freely. But if you get them on correctly, the wheels work pretty well.
IMG_0063.JPG
And the complete bike (minus stickers). Its big, gawdy and pretentious, but that's what Shredder is all about right? As a practical motorcycle goes, its terrible, but in this case, it works. A very interesting build to boot, so I can forgive how over the top it really is.
IMG_0064.JPG
Spare parts. I don't think my son missed any steps, but he's been known to do that so some of these might be part of the bike. Unlikely, but possible.
IMG_0065.JPG
And the entire set.
IMG_0066.JPG
Final thoughts. I wasn't planning on getting this set. I really only was interested in getting the turtles, and Donatello is available in at least one other set. The price per piece in Canada especically is quite high, and Shredder was not on my priority list for minifigure aquisition. However, as a playset goes, it is not bad. The skateboard and bike are both useable, and my son and I spent a good hour chasing each other around the room with them. The minifigures are outstanding, but unless you REALLY want Shredder, I would say save your money and get Donatello in the other set he comes in (Baxter Robot Rampage) or wait for a sale (or damaged box ;-) ).

Ratings:

Minifigures 5/5
Parts 3/5
Play Value 4/5
Price 3/5 (Canadian pricing) 4/5 (American)

Overall score 3.5/5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Brick & Blue
Count
Count
Posts: 2212
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:59 pm
Location: USA

Re: [REVIEW]: 79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike

Post by Brick & Blue » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:03 am

Good review, good mini figures, interesting build.

Badly designed (aka ugly), and a really horrible price. The set should be $20 for all of NA.

Brickred
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:28 am
Location: Gotham

Re: [REVIEW]: 79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike

Post by Brickred » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:01 am

Brick & Blue wrote:Good review, good mini figures, interesting build.

Badly designed (aka ugly), and a really horrible price. The set should be $20 for all of NA.
I agree besides the mini figures this set has not much to offer.

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: [REVIEW]: 79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:29 am

Thanks for the review.

The Donatello in the other set has a goofy tooth missing face and a spear instead of a bo staff (maybe they give you the extra piece to make the bo staff, but not sure). I say if you are a Donatello fan, you still need to get this set to get a proper face and weapon.

I've been combing over the TMNT sets and see what sets can be skipped and still have a good turtle collection. But skipping any of the sets, you have to sacrifice something. Michelangelo has two different goofy faces in his two sets, so there is no perfect collection.

User avatar
hatcher
Count
Count
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: [REVIEW]: 79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike

Post by hatcher » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:14 pm

The real shame (for me at least) is that Bebop and Rocksteady aren't available (are they even in this version of the show?) and that April O'Neil is in high school or something (looks like a cheerleader outfit on her figure). Having to buy multiple sets to get all the turtles is smart from LEGO's side, annoying from the purchasers side, especially considering the high prices for a licenced theme.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

dilbert12
Knight
Knight
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:15 pm
Location: Southern California (Orange County)

Re: [REVIEW]: 79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike

Post by dilbert12 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:25 pm

hatcher wrote:The real shame (for me at least) is that Bebop and Rocksteady aren't available (are they even in this version of the show?) and that April O'Neil is in high school or something (looks like a cheerleader outfit on her figure). Having to buy multiple sets to get all the turtles is smart from LEGO's side, annoying from the purchasers side, especially considering the high prices for a licenced theme.
If you don't mind which versions of the individual turtles (each has two I think), you can get all 4 turtles for around $110 USD worth of sets in the states with Shredder and Master Splinter (with some foot soldiers and an extra Raphael). Leonardo is the turtle that is hard to get as he's in the 2 most expensive sets. $60 if you don't want Splinter and Leonardo. A bit pricey, but not horrible for a licensed product in which most sets suck IMO. Turtle Lair and Krang Lab Escape are the only sets that have some appeal to me. Figures are awesome and what most people will be after IMO.

SpaceNinjaDino
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: [REVIEW]: 79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike

Post by SpaceNinjaDino » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 am

hatcher wrote:The real shame (for me at least) is that Bebop and Rocksteady aren't available (are they even in this version of the show?).
It is insane for the creator/writers to not include Bebop and Rocksteady in the show. They are more important in my mind than Shredder and Kraang. I think they changed Kraang's android too much as well. If they are smart, they should add Bebop/Rocksteady to the show's lineup. They rule compared to everything else they've tried to make. They made the same mistake when it came to the TMNT movies.

User avatar
skeet318
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:08 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: [REVIEW]: 79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike

Post by skeet318 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:31 pm

I got Shredder's Bike and the Krang lab. Great Minifigures. The detailing on Minifigures is lightyears away from what I remember in 1999(last time I had any Lego sets). I have nothing positive to say about this current incarnation of the Ninja Turtle vehicles, but I'm 31 and biased towards the 1988 Ninja Turtles version Michelangelo doesn't even say, "Cowabunga!", anymore. I really want the Sewer Lair set!

AB

mahtab
I'm New !
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:01 am
Location: Bucharest
Contact:

Re: [REVIEW]: 79101 Shredder's Dragon Bike

Post by mahtab » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:13 am

I think the silver coloring? of Shredder's style of claws is also on Batman's jetpack in the "new" Catwoman set. Voted for average

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests