Questions from a Newbie
Questions from a Newbie
New here--first post.
My kids are getting into Legos and have some of the Lego and Friends sets. Those are fine, they enjoy them, but I'd like to just get some of the general sets more geared to building ANYTHING rather than just following the instructions to build a cruise ship they are never going to want to take apart.
I've looked online at the normal spots--Amazon, Lego website, Walmart, Toys R US, Target, and have found this more frustrating than I imagined.
I was looking for big sets and was looking to even buy multiple sets to get a big bunch of pieces for them to use. I've seen everything from 200 pc to 1000 pc general sets online--with many of them being listed despite being out of stock or even discontinued. Also, it seems like a major complaint with these general sets is they give you a lot of tiny pieces vs the larger bricks. It looks like that is problem that can't really be avoided.
So, any tips/suggestions on what to get or where to get them? I'd really appreciate some guidance--Thanks!
My kids are getting into Legos and have some of the Lego and Friends sets. Those are fine, they enjoy them, but I'd like to just get some of the general sets more geared to building ANYTHING rather than just following the instructions to build a cruise ship they are never going to want to take apart.
I've looked online at the normal spots--Amazon, Lego website, Walmart, Toys R US, Target, and have found this more frustrating than I imagined.
I was looking for big sets and was looking to even buy multiple sets to get a big bunch of pieces for them to use. I've seen everything from 200 pc to 1000 pc general sets online--with many of them being listed despite being out of stock or even discontinued. Also, it seems like a major complaint with these general sets is they give you a lot of tiny pieces vs the larger bricks. It looks like that is problem that can't really be avoided.
So, any tips/suggestions on what to get or where to get them? I'd really appreciate some guidance--Thanks!
- Brickbuilder0937
- TnB Forum Moderator

- Posts: 1187
- Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:41 pm
- Location: Colorado, USA
Re: Questions from a Newbie
It's sad that LEGO is making fewer freestyle/basic brick sets than in the past. I think your best bet would be this set: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Basic-B ... ng=listing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . It's currently out of stock, but it says it will ship within 30 days.
Of course, the cheapest way to expand your collection would be by going to yard sales or thrift shops, but finding LEGO is far from guaranteed, and they're not always in the best shape.
Of course, the cheapest way to expand your collection would be by going to yard sales or thrift shops, but finding LEGO is far from guaranteed, and they're not always in the best shape.
Re: Questions from a Newbie
seems like they have them only on Black Friday...though I've seen then at Sams Club from time to time
Re: Questions from a Newbie
Yeah, that's one I had my eye on and saw it was out of stock at Lego and it was $15 higher at Amazon. I just re-checked and now Amazon has it at the same Lego price. I'll probably grab a couple of those then look for a different 600-1000 pc set. 1500-2000 pieces should keep a couple kids (and me) busy for awhile shouldn't it?Brickbuilder0937 wrote:It's sad that LEGO is making fewer freestyle/basic brick sets than in the past. I think your best bet would be this set: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Basic-B ... ng=listing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . It's currently out of stock, but it says it will ship within 30 days.
Of course, the cheapest way to expand your collection would be by going to yard sales or thrift shops, but finding LEGO is far from guaranteed, and they're not always in the best shape.
I have also checked Craigslist, but was surprised to see more "Lego wanted" ads than "For sale." The ones for sale did not look that appealing and really weren't much of a savings either.
Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.
Any other suggestions, anyone?
Re: Questions from a Newbie
When my now 11 year old was getting into legos, I put a message on my Facebook asking any of my friends if they had any legos they were looking to get rid of..I got 2 big boxes from two different friends...
Re: Questions from a Newbie
Another option is look for themed sets on clearance.
I know Walmart by me had some larger sets on clearance, like 70708 (560 pieces) for $35. It does have a lot of smaller/specialized pieces, but they are very useful for detail on builds.
I know Walmart by me had some larger sets on clearance, like 70708 (560 pieces) for $35. It does have a lot of smaller/specialized pieces, but they are very useful for detail on builds.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!
-
Brick & Blue
- Count

- Posts: 2212
- Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:59 pm
- Location: USA
Re: Questions from a Newbie
LEGO makes $10-$15 sets like this...
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/My-First-LEG ... ng=listing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are normally more classic LEGO feeling.
Then there is this....
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Fun-wit ... ng=listing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And you can use brick set.com, they have the part list and see if there are too many small piece in them or not.
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/My-First-LEG ... ng=listing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are normally more classic LEGO feeling.
Then there is this....
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Fun-wit ... ng=listing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And you can use brick set.com, they have the part list and see if there are too many small piece in them or not.
- SpaceViking
- Royal Guardian

- Posts: 617
- Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:49 am
Re: Questions from a Newbie
For bulk/creative-play bricks, I'm partial to the LEGO Education sets.
For example, the "Scenery" set is a good deal right now:
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Education-Sc ... B0085Y3XUM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Other offerings include these,
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Education-Bu ... B0085Y3U5A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Education-Ve ... B0085Y3V5Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Education-An ... B0085Y3VT0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Education-Re ... B0085Y3UO6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
although I would wait for them to go on sale a bit before calling them a good deal.
For example, the "Scenery" set is a good deal right now:
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Education-Sc ... B0085Y3XUM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Other offerings include these,
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Education-Bu ... B0085Y3U5A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Education-Ve ... B0085Y3V5Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Education-An ... B0085Y3VT0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Education-Re ... B0085Y3UO6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
although I would wait for them to go on sale a bit before calling them a good deal.
Re: Questions from a Newbie
If your looking for bulk brick I would keep an eye on Craigslist. At least in my area there is always someone selling a tub of LEGO. I find the amount of LEGO you will get from this versus a new set from Amazon in the educational area is much more. 4-5$ a pound I believe is the going rate for used bulk LEGO.
Re: Questions from a Newbie
Thanks for the responses!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


