Hello... Is there any topics for minifigure collection?
-
Legoceanglad
- I'm New !
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 pm
- Location: Usa
Hello... Is there any topics for minifigure collection?
Hello guys i am new here... Is there any minifigure personal collection topics? Thanks
Last edited by Legoceanglad on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Legoceanglad
- I'm New !
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 pm
- Location: Usa
Re: My minifigure frame i just built..
I would love to see and get ideas for new ways to display minifigs..t hanks
Re: Hello... Is there any topics for minifigure collection?
This is how I display my cmf series
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.
Re: Hello... Is there any topics for minifigure collection?
My Star Wars Shadow Boxes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.
Re: Hello... Is there any topics for minifigure collection?
On the left wall holds my LotR, my TBD box (maybe Chima/MF/?, Maybe Lotrd/Hobbit overflow?), and my Ninjago (first one made).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.
Re: Hello... Is there any topics for minifigure collection?
And My Superheroes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.
Re: Hello... Is there any topics for minifigure collection?
@Luciant - what size shadow box do you use? I assume you constructed the inside on your own? did you just use wood to build the levels?
Re: Hello... Is there any topics for minifigure collection?
You are correct, I built them myself, and I tested a few different things as I went along. I got the initial instructions from a post on brickset, and modified it to my needs/likings.
I used 16x20 Shadow Boxes I bought from Hobby Lobby. The inspirational poster used 20x24 Shadow Boxes, but I found them to be a little too big, and heavy. Mine weigh just under 10 lbs each after complete with minifigs added, so the bigger shadow boxes would be heavier. The big ones have front opening for easy access, which is extremely helpful. They also have about 2" depth, so they can fit snakes and Hulk-types, etc.
I went to Home Depot and went to the trim/siding and bout some lattice (pine) that was 1" x 1.5" x 10'(?) and used their saw horse / saw / measure to cut 1"x1.5"x16" for the shelves (well, slighly under to make sanding the edges easier so they slip easily into the shadowbox). It was about $4 total for all wood needed per shadowbox.. maybe less. I tried using 1.75" lattice as well, thinking it would be create stronger shelves due to more surface, but they actually flex a lot more, so I prefer the 1.5".
I initially used 2x6 Lego Bricks with each level having a 2x6 tile to make a flag surface for the vertical supports that hold the shelves, but quickly ran out of black 2x6 bricks, and decided to stick with wood. I used the same Lattice wood that I made shelves out and got 3" lengths for the supports in between the shelves. 3" is a great distance that fits almost all minifigs including ones hold spears. You can vary this of course and possibly get more or less total shelves based on preference.
I sanded down the edges of the cut sides as the wood came with a decent finish. I spray painted them Satin Black with spraypaint. I then used "Zots" (adhesive glue dots that hold extremely well) (the biggest size they got). I used the zots to secure the 3" supports to the side walls, then a few zots on each shelf to hold it to both the sides and bottom/top where the side supports touched.
I mainly used CMF stands that I '"glued" to the shelves with 2 Zots each on the bottom. You can hold the box upside down and minifigs won't move, but if are removable in case you every wanted to adjust/remove.
I used some 6x12 Green Plates for the ground on each shelf in the Ninjago Box. This worked well since the Snakes needed to sit further out from the back due to their long tails. I was fortunate to have hit a PAB Wall and bought a ton of them that I had planned to use in a Castle MoC.
The other shadowboxes are back-opening ones which are held in place by picture holders on each corner of the cards. I didn't want those easily accessible to viewers ;)
I used 16x20 Shadow Boxes I bought from Hobby Lobby. The inspirational poster used 20x24 Shadow Boxes, but I found them to be a little too big, and heavy. Mine weigh just under 10 lbs each after complete with minifigs added, so the bigger shadow boxes would be heavier. The big ones have front opening for easy access, which is extremely helpful. They also have about 2" depth, so they can fit snakes and Hulk-types, etc.
I went to Home Depot and went to the trim/siding and bout some lattice (pine) that was 1" x 1.5" x 10'(?) and used their saw horse / saw / measure to cut 1"x1.5"x16" for the shelves (well, slighly under to make sanding the edges easier so they slip easily into the shadowbox). It was about $4 total for all wood needed per shadowbox.. maybe less. I tried using 1.75" lattice as well, thinking it would be create stronger shelves due to more surface, but they actually flex a lot more, so I prefer the 1.5".
I initially used 2x6 Lego Bricks with each level having a 2x6 tile to make a flag surface for the vertical supports that hold the shelves, but quickly ran out of black 2x6 bricks, and decided to stick with wood. I used the same Lattice wood that I made shelves out and got 3" lengths for the supports in between the shelves. 3" is a great distance that fits almost all minifigs including ones hold spears. You can vary this of course and possibly get more or less total shelves based on preference.
I sanded down the edges of the cut sides as the wood came with a decent finish. I spray painted them Satin Black with spraypaint. I then used "Zots" (adhesive glue dots that hold extremely well) (the biggest size they got). I used the zots to secure the 3" supports to the side walls, then a few zots on each shelf to hold it to both the sides and bottom/top where the side supports touched.
I mainly used CMF stands that I '"glued" to the shelves with 2 Zots each on the bottom. You can hold the box upside down and minifigs won't move, but if are removable in case you every wanted to adjust/remove.
I used some 6x12 Green Plates for the ground on each shelf in the Ninjago Box. This worked well since the Snakes needed to sit further out from the back due to their long tails. I was fortunate to have hit a PAB Wall and bought a ton of them that I had planned to use in a Castle MoC.
The other shadowboxes are back-opening ones which are held in place by picture holders on each corner of the cards. I didn't want those easily accessible to viewers ;)
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.
Re: Hello... Is there any topics for minifigure collection?
Thanks Luciant, I think I saw the same post as the display that I did sounds very similar and with the 20x24 shadowbox.The smaller ones that you have seem easier to manage as you are right, the 20x24 frame is heavy and hard to manage when full of figures. Do they have 16x20 shadowboxes that open from the front too? I found the zots that I used (maybe they are not the biggest size) they don't stick very well after I sprayed the wood, but as the shadowbox is on the wall, shouldn't need to move very much.
This was my attempt at it (in need of another one soon....)
This was my attempt at it (in need of another one soon....)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Hello... Is there any topics for minifigure collection?
I like how yours has a good amount of space in between figures as it helps them stand out a little more. That was the debate for me... weight vs space. The 16x20's open in the front. I originally bought some at Michael's but they were rear opening, and then found a bunch of front facing ones at Hobby Lobby.darbee wrote:Thanks Luciant, I think I saw the same post as the display that I did sounds very similar and with the 20x24 shadowbox.The smaller ones that you have seem easier to manage as you are right, the 20x24 frame is heavy and hard to manage when full of figures. Do they have 16x20 shadowboxes that open from the front too? I found the zots that I used (maybe they are not the biggest size) they don't stick very well after I sprayed the wood, but as the shadowbox is on the wall, shouldn't need to move very much.
Dumb question, but just to make sure... you are waiting until after the spray paint drys completely before trying to stick the Zots on right? Strange as they've never given me any problems.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.
Re: Hello... Is there any topics for minifigure collection?
I think I'll need to make a stop by Hobby Lobby sometime! Only thing is the closest one to me is across the border and 1.5 hrs south ;P
I got the shadowbox from Michaels, put it on the wall, went to reposition it a bit and the hook thing at the back to hold it to the wall fell off, so had to reinforce it with some screws and wire.
Yep, I let the paint dry overnight before putting the zots on, I think I should have bought the bigger sized zots, but oh well, now I know for next time. Thanks for the tips by the way, now I need to find more wall space however.... I'd love to see how others display their minifigures as well
I got the shadowbox from Michaels, put it on the wall, went to reposition it a bit and the hook thing at the back to hold it to the wall fell off, so had to reinforce it with some screws and wire.
Yep, I let the paint dry overnight before putting the zots on, I think I should have bought the bigger sized zots, but oh well, now I know for next time. Thanks for the tips by the way, now I need to find more wall space however.... I'd love to see how others display their minifigures as well
Re: Hello... Is there any topics for minifigure collection?
Sign up for their alerts or call ahead. Hobby lobby has 50% off shadow boxes pretty regularly so hit them up during one of these. I'm a little OCD so it took me several visits to get boxes that were not dinged up and had the magnets installed well so the front sat as flush as possible to avoid dust.
I also started at michaels but they didn't have any front loading ones which made me go to hobby lobby, as they have front loading ones of all sizes.
As for hanging them, it took me a while before deciding the way to go as I wanted them to be very secure. I got some wicked looking screws that have a lip to catch alligator clip mounts. I didn't want to use nails as the could easily fall out over time with 10lbs on them. They have worked well thus far,but I'm thinking of goin back to add 2 "anchor nails" on the bottom to provide a little more weight support.
I think the bigger zots will help keep your stuff more secure. could always go with wood glue if your ok with not being able to move stuff afterwards :)
I also started at michaels but they didn't have any front loading ones which made me go to hobby lobby, as they have front loading ones of all sizes.
As for hanging them, it took me a while before deciding the way to go as I wanted them to be very secure. I got some wicked looking screws that have a lip to catch alligator clip mounts. I didn't want to use nails as the could easily fall out over time with 10lbs on them. They have worked well thus far,but I'm thinking of goin back to add 2 "anchor nails" on the bottom to provide a little more weight support.
I think the bigger zots will help keep your stuff more secure. could always go with wood glue if your ok with not being able to move stuff afterwards :)
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

