Lego Star Wars Boxes Quality

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Post Reply
Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Lego Star Wars Boxes Quality

Post by Tomatoe » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:31 pm

I like the sets in 2009 (clone walker battle pack, hyena droid bomber, venator, etc) since its all high quality boxes and not a thin cardboard box. But in 2010, the first wave (freeco speeder, hoth battle pack, etc) has a somewhat different box quality. Not the thin cardboard one, but not the high quality boxes from 2009 either. For the second wave in 2010 (like plo koon fighter), the high quality boxes from 2009 came back. The otherday I was at walmart and notice the hoth battle packs got high quality boxes again. Why does lego keep changing the quality of them?

User avatar
legitimatealex
Count
Count
Posts: 1636
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA

Re: Lego Star Wars Boxes Quality

Post by legitimatealex » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:42 am

To lower and reduce costs. It's their driving change behind most of their downgrades.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

User avatar
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Beacon, NY

Re: Lego Star Wars Boxes Quality

Post by vynsane » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:04 pm

Does the 'quality' of the box really factor into your perceived value of the set, though? I don't really take it into account at all.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

User avatar
legitimatealex
Count
Count
Posts: 1636
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA

Re: Lego Star Wars Boxes Quality

Post by legitimatealex » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:11 pm

vynsane wrote:Does the 'quality' of the box really factor into your perceived value of the set, though? I don't really take it into account at all.
No, but the lower quality of the box the more likely that it is to be smashed. A lot of people like myself like to keep the boxes.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Tomatoe
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Re: Lego Star Wars Boxes Quality

Post by Tomatoe » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:02 am

legitimatealex wrote:
vynsane wrote:Does the 'quality' of the box really factor into your perceived value of the set, though? I don't really take it into account at all.
No, but the lower quality of the box the more likely that it is to be smashed. A lot of people like myself like to keep the boxes.
I really agree with you on that. I keep the box and its easier to keep it mint if its a better qualty box.

User avatar
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Beacon, NY

Re: Lego Star Wars Boxes Quality

Post by vynsane » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:18 am

I guess I understand... although the 'cheaper' boxes are easier to keep in good condition if you flatten them. You really can't flatten the corrugated cardboard boxes as easily.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests