[REVIEW] 5866 : Rotor Rescue

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Post Reply

What rating would you give to this set?

Excellent
3
50%
Average
3
50%
Poor
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 6

User avatar
toystest
Knight
Knight
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:20 am

[REVIEW] 5866 : Rotor Rescue

Post by toystest » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Indexed

Name: Rotor Rescue (#5866)
MSRP: $12.99
Pieces: 149
Price Per Piece: $0.087
Minifigures: 0

LEGO Description
There's no need to fear when this heroic mountain rescue helicopter is on the job! With working rotors and a back ramp, it also includes instructions for rebuilding the pieces into an exciting air show bi-plane or a high-octane speed boat. A great 3-in-1 building experience! Helicopter to the rescue! Build it, then transform into a bi-plane or speed boat! Rotors on the helicopter rotors really spin!
It's time for another Creator review :)

Like the Street Speeder box this box opens like a rice box. The downside is that it can not be closed up after opening it.
Image
Image

Okay let's start with everything that comes with this set. Besides the rotors there are really no special pieces in this set, however there is a good variation of yellow and red pieces.Image

The helicopter is really cool, the two rotors spin nicely. There are some nice accents like the search light and the Cable Trolley. It is also very neat that the back opens and closes.
Image
Image


I put the the airplane on some spare parts to allow for easier picture taking. Since there are quite a few pieces left, it would have been nice if they used the spare parts to create a second rotor and thus turn this into a two engine plane. Of the 3 builds my son liked this one by far the best. As soon as I get this set out my son wants me to make this plane.
Image
Image


The Catamaran speed boat has some very nice details, the engine block has a lot of parts in it making it look very realistic. It was the trickiest of the 3 builds, as the parts were kind loosely stuck together until the build is finalized. Once finalized this is no longer an issue, there are however quite some pieces left after the build is complete. On a side note, my son was a little bit dissapointed with this build, as it 'had no wings or rotor'
Image
Image

As with all Creator sets there are no minifigures in this set and the builds are not really to minifig scale. It is hard for me to pick a favorite build as both the helicopter and the airplane are very nice. The Speedboat was my least favorite for it does not really fit in with the theme of the set (rotor rescue), but also because it used the least pieces. I bought this set at the TRU BOGO 50% off so I paid $10.40 after tax (less then 7 cents a piece). Even at full price the of 12.99 (8.7 cents/piece) you can not really go wrong with this set even if you just end up getting it for parts.

My next review will be for the LEGO Creator Family Home (6754) :D

User avatar
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Beacon, NY

Re: [REVIEW] 5866 : Rotor Rescue

Post by vynsane » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:14 pm

toystest wrote:Besides the rotors there are really no special pieces in this set[...]
I don't know, the plain dark bley 'R2-D2' body cylinders are cool and rare (and this is by far the cheapest set they come in, the 1x1 brick w/1 stud on the side is always useful, and you can't go wrong with 1-by curved studless slopes.

I reviewed this set a while ago at brickset and other than the notion that there are "no special pieces" pretty much came up with the same conclusions you did.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

User avatar
toystest
Knight
Knight
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:20 am

Re: [REVIEW] 5866 : Rotor Rescue

Post by toystest » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:53 pm

vynsane wrote:
toystest wrote:Besides the rotors there are really no special pieces in this set[...]
I don't know, the plain dark bley 'R2-D2' body cylinders are cool and rare (and this is by far the cheapest set they come in, the 1x1 brick w/1 stud on the side is always useful, and you can't go wrong with 1-by curved studless slopes.

I reviewed this set a while ago at brickset and other than the notion that there are "no special pieces" pretty much came up with the same conclusions you did.
the 1x1 brick with the stud on the side is the same stuf that came with any car 25 years ago, with regards to the curved slopes they also seem to be in every creator and city set. I mainly focus on City/Creator, so I am not very familiar with the SW sets. I wasn't aware of the r2-d2 cylinders being rare, thanks for pointing it out, what other set were they in. I am just curious what they are used for.

User avatar
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Beacon, NY

Re: [REVIEW] 5866 : Rotor Rescue

Post by vynsane » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:04 am

toystest wrote:the 1x1 brick with the stud on the side is the same stuf that came with any car 25 years ago
I think you have this confused with the 1x1 "headlight" brick which has been around forever. By comparison, this brick is relatively new and is a full brick wide with a stud on the side, as opposed to the "headlight" brick, which has the stud negatively offset by half a plate.

EDIT: In fact, looking through the sets it's available in, I can't find a single set that's older than maybe two years, so it's really quite new.
with regards to the curved slopes they also seem to be in every creator and city set.
True, they're showing up in more and more sets, but they're highly sought after and also relatively new, and therefore more rare.
I mainly focus on City/Creator, so I am not very familiar with the SW sets. I wasn't aware of the r2-d2 cylinders being rare, thanks for pointing it out, what other set were they in. I am just curious what they are used for.
The link that I placed around the phrase by far the cheapest set they come in was a display of all the sets that have the R2 body in dark bley, but they also come in a variety of fruit flavors including black, dark green, lime, red, sand green, white and yellow. Some sets use them with a 2x2 rounded dome brick as gas canisters (air tanks) or bombs, and they're used on the Toy Story 3 Garbage Truck Escape set as the gas tanks. I, myself, used the two from rotor rescue as the engines on my KZ 65000 Speederbike.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

User avatar
possum
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:47 pm
Location: Charlotte NC
Contact:

Re: [REVIEW] 5866 : Rotor Rescue

Post by possum » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:10 am

I picked this set up a while ago when Walmart didn't have what I was looking for....don't recall what, but I couldn't leave empty handed. :) I think it's a fairly run-of-the-mill set, but I did like the boat build the best. Maybe it was the challenge of holding the frame together until it was stable enough. Even at full price, though, this set is a great deal. I'd recommend it for that alone.
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!

User avatar
vynsane
TnB Forum Moderator
TnB Forum Moderator
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Beacon, NY

Re: [REVIEW] 5866 : Rotor Rescue

Post by vynsane » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:49 am

possum wrote:Even at full price, though, this set is a great deal. I'd recommend it for that alone.
Yes, like most Creator sets, it's a GREAT value parts pack.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Dropbox - LDD files and instruction archive

User avatar
toystest
Knight
Knight
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:20 am

Re: [REVIEW] 5866 : Rotor Rescue

Post by toystest » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:17 am

vynsane wrote:
possum wrote:Even at full price, though, this set is a great deal. I'd recommend it for that alone.
Yes, like most Creator sets, it's a GREAT value parts pack.
I really like Creator sets, although reviewing them is kind of a pain, as they take quite some time to build. Probably took around 6-8 hours of building (with my sons 'help') all 3 houses in the family home set. Hopefully I can post it tonight :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest