New Round of Harry Potter?

Discuss various LEGO themes like Friends, City, Star Wars, Batman and more here.
Post Reply
jeremyp4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: The Land of Lincoln

New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by jeremyp4 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:23 pm

Does anyone out there think that we may not have seen the end of the Harry Potter Lego sets? I know that the license wasn't renewed but is it possible that this might be something that is reestablished on down the road? I personally would love to see this theme extended. There are so many very cool build options, especially if they decided to create a few UCS models/builds like Star Wars did.

I hope that HP makes another appearance before too long.

What do you all think?

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:30 am
Location: oregon

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by lego the hutt » Sun May 13, 2012 9:16 pm

It's a nice thought but doubtful unless more movies come out. Maybe if there is an animated version or something that could lend to the theme being renewed.

Most of the licensed themes seem to have the most selling power when they are based around a movie or show. There is always still the possibility, so don't give up hope, but themes like PotC, Cars, Prince of Persia and Harry Potter seem to drop off after the movie hype has died down.

User avatar
Buttmunch
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:39 pm
Location: Utah

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by Buttmunch » Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm

And then there is Star Wars. They could in theory keep it going, but I do think most of the demand is gone by now.

jeremyp4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: The Land of Lincoln

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by jeremyp4 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Yeah...I think you are both right. It's a shame really that they never really offered any higher-end options. Diagon Alley is nice but it just seems a shame to not expound on the idea. I bet there would be a lot of demand for it.

User avatar
Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: United States

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by Deathleech » Wed May 16, 2012 9:42 am

Lego Harry Potter had a couple high end options from what I remember. Diagon Alley and Hogwart's Castle most recently.

Sure they don't have several $200+ sets like the Lego Star Wars theme offers, but that's to be expected. The high end items don't really have the same appeal as a 20 or 30 dollar Lego set. I mean most Lego items are geared towards kids and I don't know many 8-14 year olds running around with 200 bucks to blow on a single Lego set. Instead those uber expensive sets are geared towards adults/collectors, and asking even them to plunk down 200 dollars or more on a single set can be a really hard sell. Only the most dedicated of fans usually get those sets.

jeremyp4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: The Land of Lincoln

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by jeremyp4 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:11 pm

Deathleech wrote:Lego Harry Potter had a couple high end options from what I remember. Diagon Alley and Hogwart's Castle most recently.

Sure they don't have several $200+ sets like the Lego Star Wars theme offers, but that's to be expected. The high end items don't really have the same appeal as a 20 or 30 dollar Lego set. I mean most Lego items are geared towards kids and I don't know many 8-14 year olds running around with 200 bucks to blow on a single Lego set. Instead those uber expensive sets are geared towards adults/collectors, and asking even them to plunk down 200 dollars or more on a single set can be a really hard sell. Only the most dedicated of fans usually get those sets.
All very true. I just thought it would be cool to have the option. Maybe the Lord of the Rings line will have some bigger set options.

LegoFanTexas
Noble Citizen
Noble Citizen
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:01 pm
Location: Texas

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by LegoFanTexas » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:48 am

Every "option" is one less set they can make elsewhere.

It costs time and money t make "options".

brickarmor
Knight
Knight
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:08 am
Location: SC, US

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by brickarmor » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:54 am

"Currently, the overall box office revenue generated by the Star Wars films has totaled at $4.49 billion,[1] making it the third-highest-grossing film series,[2] behind only the Harry Potter and James Bond films."

Straight from Wikipedia. Quite startling to me to find that out, my assumption--reinforced by many "meh" reactions to the HP line--being that nothing could ever trump SW, no way no how.

User avatar
sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian
Posts: 725
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:59 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by sadowsk1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:15 pm

brickarmor wrote:"Currently, the overall box office revenue generated by the Star Wars films has totaled at $4.49 billion,[1] making it the third-highest-grossing film series,[2] behind only the Harry Potter and James Bond films."

Straight from Wikipedia. Quite startling to me to find that out, my assumption--reinforced by many "meh" reactions to the HP line--being that nothing could ever trump SW, no way no how.
Does the box office revenue count for inflation? It always frustrates me to see how movies are gauged by that instead of ticket sale quantity and popularity. I understand that in the end it's money that matters to the bottom line, but that shouldn't be the only measure.

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:30 am
Location: oregon

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by lego the hutt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:43 pm

sadowsk1 wrote:
brickarmor wrote:"Currently, the overall box office revenue generated by the Star Wars films has totaled at $4.49 billion,[1] making it the third-highest-grossing film series,[2] behind only the Harry Potter and James Bond films."

Straight from Wikipedia. Quite startling to me to find that out, my assumption--reinforced by many "meh" reactions to the HP line--being that nothing could ever trump SW, no way no how.
Does the box office revenue count for inflation? It always frustrates me to see how movies are gauged by that instead of ticket sale quantity and popularity. I understand that in the end it's money that matters to the bottom line, but that shouldn't be the only measure.
This is a logical line of thought and the answer is obviously no. Without looking at specific numbers I think everyone understands if inflation was taken into account star wars would out gross harry potter. That is taking into account re-releases with added scenes, enhanced thx sound and effects etc. The longevity of Star Wars makes it not even close.

At first glance I am surprised that james bond is there at number 1. But when you take into account the quantity of movies there have been...including recent films, which are a majority of that gross income, it makes sense. 23...there have been 23 bond movies.

Here is a link to the wiki films that are the highest grossing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hi ... sing_films

Harry Potter part 2 is number 4. I am very surprised to see the phantom menace at #10.

A direct quote from that wiki page :
The films on this chart have all had a theatrical run since 1993, and films that were released before then do not appear in the chart due to ticket-price inflation, population size and ticket purchasing trends not being considered
^ that being said star wars is the only movie from the 70's in the top 50. ET is the only movie from the 80s.

I thought it was humorous that star wars came out in 1977 and it still grossed more than any of the twilight movies...without including inflation :lol:

User avatar
Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: United States

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by Deathleech » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:14 pm

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjust ... 012&p=.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That list shows most of the movies with adjustments for inflation. I remember hearing how Gone with the Wind would easily trump all movies if it woulda been released now instead of in 1939. I guess that's true!

Also, here are the ticket sales:
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjust ... r=1&p=.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lego the hutt
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:30 am
Location: oregon

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by lego the hutt » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Deathleech wrote:http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjust ... 012&p=.htm

That list shows most of the movies with adjustments for inflation. I remember hearing how Gone with the Wind would easily trump all movies if it woulda been released now instead of in 1939. I guess that's true!

Also, here are the ticket sales:
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjust ... r=1&p=.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting. Thanks for posting that. It would be interesting to see numbers from a certain period of time. Like the first week after release. Older films with multiple releases have an advantage in that list. I wasn't around when gone with the wind was released, but I'm guessing the lack of TV might have given it a boost. Though there aren't any other older films on there so maybe not.

I was very young when star wars was released, but I remember seeing short TV segments where they discussed the star wars craze and would ask people "How many times have you seen Star Wars?" The answer would generally be from a few to 20+. It makes me wonder how it was when Gone with the Wind was released. I'm guessing it appealed to a wider audience and more people saw it while star wars relied on multiple views per person.

Anyway, thanks for that link.

User avatar
hatcher
Count
Count
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:46 am
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada (aka The Great White North)

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by hatcher » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Also, don't forget there was no television when Gone With the Wind Came out. TV really laid a beating down on movie ticket sales.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

User avatar
sadowsk1
Royal Guardian
Royal Guardian
Posts: 725
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:59 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by sadowsk1 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:33 pm

Deathleech wrote:http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjust ... 012&p=.htm

That list shows most of the movies with adjustments for inflation. I remember hearing how Gone with the Wind would easily trump all movies if it woulda been released now instead of in 1939. I guess that's true!

Also, here are the ticket sales:
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjust ... r=1&p=.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the post! I don't mind that Star Wars isn't number one, I'm glad to see a lot of the classics on the list instead of whatever is popular these days.

jeremyp4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: The Land of Lincoln

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by jeremyp4 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:15 pm

LegoFanTexas wrote:Every "option" is one less set they can make elsewhere.

It costs time and money t make "options".
True...it does take time and money to make "options"...but if you choose the right "option" the time and money invested can turn into huge profits. If you look at the fanbase of SW, HP, or LOTR...it probably wouldn't matter what the set would be...there would be tons of fans waiting to buy it

jeremyp4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: The Land of Lincoln

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by jeremyp4 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:16 pm

I have a feeling a UCS set would do very very well.

User avatar
Deathleech
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: United States

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by Deathleech » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:42 am

lego the hutt wrote:I wasn't around when gone with the wind was released, but I'm guessing the lack of TV might have given it a boost. Though there aren't any other older films on there so maybe not.
Who knows, if nothing else I am sure it helped. Something to keep in mind is back then there were roughly only 2.3 billion people in the world compared to the 7 billion now. That's over 3x as many!

Also looking at the list w/inflation, a little over 60 of the 200 movies on there were released in the last 12 years. Granted there are some older movies on there, one even from 1921, but if you look from 1921-1989 that makes up 99 of the movies, and the rest were released in 1990-2012 which makes up the other 101. That's a little under 70 years vs only 20.

User avatar
peanut
Knight
Knight
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:17 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by peanut » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:18 pm

jeremyp4 wrote:Does anyone out there think that we may not have seen the end of the Harry Potter Lego sets? ... I hope that HP makes another appearance before too long. ... What do you all think?
I really wish they would but I guess it depends on how well it still sells. Lucas is the long time reigning emperor of merchandising so that's not really a good comparison. I do hope they surprise us someday though!

jeremyp4
Honored Citizen
Honored Citizen
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:01 pm
Location: The Land of Lincoln

Re: New Round of Harry Potter?

Post by jeremyp4 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:31 pm

peanut wrote:
jeremyp4 wrote:Does anyone out there think that we may not have seen the end of the Harry Potter Lego sets? ... I hope that HP makes another appearance before too long. ... What do you all think?
I really wish they would but I guess it depends on how well it still sells. Lucas is the long time reigning emperor of merchandising so that's not really a good comparison. I do hope they surprise us someday though!
Glad to see that someone else feels the same way. There are so many awesome possibilities that would make some great sets I think

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests