Is TRU USA moving more towards pricing at MSRP?

Discuss about retailers that carries LEGO products here! Got a LEGO Product Find or Polybag Find from a store? Share it with us. It can be a new or even a really old retired set!
Post Reply
User avatar
atmail35
Duke
Duke
Posts: 2611
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Is TRU USA moving more towards pricing at MSRP?

Post by atmail35 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:17 pm

I was in TRU this week and I noticed quite a few sets at MSRP. I always though TRU bumped up their stuff over MSRP by at least a few bucks. For example the Airport is $109.99 vs $99.99 and the City Camper is $18.99 vs $16.99. I'm wondering if the prices = MSRP is a new(ish) trend.

I only looked at City/Creator sets so I can't really speak to others but the following were at MSRP:

3367 City Space Shuttle $29.99
7279 Police Minifigure Collection $9.99
7285 Police Dog Unit $12.99
7286 Prisoner Transport $19.99

The following Creator sets were also at MSRP:
5766 Log Cabin $29.99
5764 Rescue Robot $16.99

Luciant
Count
Count
Posts: 1168
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:29 pm
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Is TRU USA moving more towards pricing at MSRP?

Post by Luciant » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:10 pm

TRU likes to start off the new sets at regular MSRP for the first month or so it's out, then they give the TRU Markup.
I have mixed feelings about new releases: I can't wait to see and get the new sets... but I can't figure out where I'm gonna put them or store them.

User avatar
atmail35
Duke
Duke
Posts: 2611
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Is TRU USA moving more towards pricing at MSRP?

Post by atmail35 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:42 am

Luciant wrote:TRU likes to start off the new sets at regular MSRP for the first month or so it's out, then they give the TRU Markup.
Very sneaky of them! I guess that makes sense since the older sets seemed to be the marked up ones. Too bad they don't do that with CMF :lol:

And what's up with the TRU Truck priced at $49.99?....back in October it was $39.99.

User avatar
ncbarrett
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 2295
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 am
Location: SE MI USA

Re: Is TRU USA moving more towards pricing at MSRP?

Post by ncbarrett » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:56 am

atmail35 wrote:...
And what's up with the TRU Truck priced at $49.99?....back in October it was $39.99.
They are the only place to get it, they can charge whatever they want.
I have inoperable cancer and am unable to work. Any gifts would be appreciated. Thank you!

meyerc13
Knight
Knight
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Is TRU USA moving more towards pricing at MSRP?

Post by meyerc13 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:16 pm

I've noticed that every year, right before TRU starts running their Buy 2 get 1, or Buy one get one 50% off sales, the majority of their LEGO suddenly jumps up in price. After those sales many of their prices drop to more reasonable levels, but you'll still find some of them at slightly above MSRP.

You'll see prices jump again around October/November, and they'll stay up through the nearly weekly sales leading up to Christmas. Once the stores get restocked around February, the prices will start to drop again. Happens every year.

User avatar
legitimatealex
Count
Count
Posts: 1636
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA

Re: Is TRU USA moving more towards pricing at MSRP?

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Toys R Us is pretty much the definition of manipulative when it comes to the prices. IMO Never EVER buy anything from there unless its on sale or it is a discontinued set. They are terrible for prices and if you have patience you can always get it cheaper. Their 30% off sales usually knock sets back down to market price.....
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Brick & Blue
Count
Count
Posts: 2212
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:59 pm
Location: USA

Re: Is TRU USA moving more towards pricing at MSRP?

Post by Brick & Blue » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:43 am

TRU used to up their prices after almost exactly one month of them having the sets, however recently there have been a lot of MSRP priced sets which is shocking and ironic. Walamrt and Target are going higher than MSRP now and TRU is starting to charge MSRP.

User avatar
peanut
Knight
Knight
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:17 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: Is TRU USA moving more towards pricing at MSRP?

Post by peanut » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:26 pm

The Toys R Us I went to today had the 2 most recent Star Wars battle packs priced at $16.99. :lol:

It's in a really nice area and wow the prices are completely insane! I even passed on 7197 Venice Canal Chase due to it being over 50 bucks! I heard parents in the LEGO aisle telling their kids "it's 10 dollars cheaper at Target" more than once in the short time I was there.

User avatar
legitimatealex
Count
Count
Posts: 1636
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm
Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA

Re: Is TRU USA moving more towards pricing at MSRP?

Post by legitimatealex » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:28 am

Brick & Blue wrote:TRU used to up their prices after almost exactly one month of them having the sets, however recently there have been a lot of MSRP priced sets which is shocking and ironic. Walamrt and Target are going higher than MSRP now and TRU is starting to charge MSRP.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on Walmart and Target going higher, at least in my own experience. Walmart usually has the prices listed a dollar or two lower. While that might not be significant, for a $20 set, a two dollar reduction is still 10% off. My local Walmart has the Imperial V Wing(?) fighter for $15.

The only thing I can say about Target is that only their stupid 'impulse' sets are getting any higher in price. Everything else I've seen at mine and the ones around here are pretty much MSRP.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.

Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests