Star Wars at the Lego Discovery Store in Schaumburg, IL
Star Wars at the Lego Discovery Store in Schaumburg, IL
I live kind of nearby, maybe an hour or so way, but didn't attend. Did anyone go to this and care to share how the event went?
Re: Star Wars at the Lego Discovery Store in Schaumburg, IL
It blew....bottom line. They had about 500 clone wars minifigs scattered throughout mini-land(the chicago lakefront area). They had a bunch of fat sloppy guys dressed up as second rate star wars characters(ie random pilots and Death Star Technicians....) The mini-build of slave I was smaller\less detailed than almost all the mini-builds I have seen there before. The speed build event was pretty much booked for the day 15 mins after the doors opened. They were doing an r2-d2 master build, but not giving out any of the master build blocks....only a printed paper certificate...The special shop discounts were 10% off your order if you bought a tie defender and a free C3PO keychain if spent over 35$.
Only thing that saved this trip is when I went across the street to the proper lego store at woodfield mall-found a home one for 33bucks and the polybag turkey for 50% off. Never again will I be tempted to attend a special event at legoland discovery center in schaumburg.
Don't get me wrong the Discovery Center can be a GREAT trip for the kids....just go on a weekday or a non-event weekend and get there when doors open.
Only thing that saved this trip is when I went across the street to the proper lego store at woodfield mall-found a home one for 33bucks and the polybag turkey for 50% off. Never again will I be tempted to attend a special event at legoland discovery center in schaumburg.
Don't get me wrong the Discovery Center can be a GREAT trip for the kids....just go on a weekday or a non-event weekend and get there when doors open.
Re: Star Wars at the Lego Discovery Store in Schaumburg, IL
Thanks for the post! I appreciate the heads up!
- legitimatealex
- Count

- Posts: 1636
- Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm
- Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Re: Star Wars at the Lego Discovery Store in Schaumburg, IL
Oof sorry to hear this. My brother and my niece were contemplating going to this as a weekend trip but in the end decided not to. Sorry it was so terrible.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.
Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?
Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?
Re: Star Wars at the Lego Discovery Store in Schaumburg, IL
I would like to reiterate that the Discovery Center in itself is an excellent experience! Just DO NOT make your first trip on any special event weekend. Also, realize that the store attached is not an "actual" LEGO store. It operates under the Merlin Group or whoever it is that runs Legoland(s). Kids aged 5-10 this hits a home run with--kids over 10 not so much. On a sidenote this area is one of my fave non downtown areas of Chi to visit, the mall is fantastic(real LEGO store), gameworks, wonderful restaurants in the area makes for a great day trip!
- legitimatealex
- Count

- Posts: 1636
- Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm
- Location: Valparaiso, IN, USA
Re: Star Wars at the Lego Discovery Store in Schaumburg, IL
My brother has nothing but good to say about the LEGO store in Schaumburg. Since the Brickcon (is that right?) gets held in the area, the Schaumburg store is the one that gets all the business from that. My brother also informs me that the Schaumburg store pushes more product and that their Pick a Brick gets updated much more than the Orland Park or downtown Chicago store does.
I can totally vouch for the Orland Park store not updating it's pick a brick ever...I went there three times in the course of the year and only 4 bins had changed bricks. Depressing.
I can totally vouch for the Orland Park store not updating it's pick a brick ever...I went there three times in the course of the year and only 4 bins had changed bricks. Depressing.
http://www.eightclickbrick.com/ Find me here on the internet.
Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?
Playing with LEGO when I can. Where does the time go?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
